ABOUT LILIAN PLACE HERITAGE CENTER
& THE HERITAGE PRESERVATION TRUST
We are a non-profit organization established by concerned citizens to help preserve the architectural and historical heritage of the Volusia County area.
Please join the Heritage Preservation Trust, a non-profit group committed to historical preservation and education in Volusia County. We are the owners of Lilian Place Historic House, the oldest home on Daytona Beachside built in 1884, made famous by Stephen Crane in his story “The Open Boat.” We have recently purchased Hotchkiss House, built in 1905 and we are committed to repairing and renovating both sites for a heritage museum and cultural events center open to the community.
Lilian Place is the oldest grand house on Daytona's beachside. This Italianate Victorian house was built in 1884 by one of the city's first settlers Laurence Thompson (1848-1920). Lilian Place sat abandoned and neglected until December of 2009, when the Trust was awarded a Volusia County ECHO Grant to acquire this significant site.
This prime example of Italianate High Victorian architecture with its high ceilings, carved woodwork, and heart-of-pine floors is one of only two in Volusia County, Florida. The house has a "widow's walk," which is off the tower narrow balcony. Lilian Place named after Lilian Thompson (1873-1934), daughter of Laurence Thompson, who lived in the house until her death.
Lilian Place is now restored to its original 1880's glory. It's period furniture and artifacts bring history alive. Step back into the past with us and relive the days when Lilian Place was the only mansion on the beachside.
TOURS: Historic 1884 Museum open daily 1-5pm for guided tours. Last tour leaves at 4pm (closed Tuesdays)
$5.00 per person
(FREE: members of the Trust and children 12 and under)
Museum Antiquities shop opening soon.
(watch for updates)
Grounds open daily 9am-5pm for FREE self guided tours.
The Hotchkiss House is located next door to Lilian Place. In 1905 Eliphalet Hubbell Hotchkiss (1858-1917), the famous stapler company owner, had this grand Queen Anne Victorian turreted mansion built high overlooking the Halifax River on a lot originally owned by Laurence Thompson.
Gertrude Hotchkiss Heyn, took over the ownership of the house in 1916. She was a benefactor to the community and donated the Hotchkiss house property with all furnishings to the Halifax Hospital. 6 months later, Eliza Thompson Mather, granddaughter of Laurence Thompson, purchased the property, so the Thompson family came full circle to once again have possession of the grand Victorian.
Now converted into an event site with a spectacular patio overlooking the river. The property is available for parties, meetings, weddings and special events. Step into the past for a Victorian Tea served by reenactors on the 3rd Tuesday of each month or one of our Winedown Wednesdays. Check the event calendar for special events!
(26 Minutes) Documentary produced, written and edited by Susan Cardillo
Our fundraising goals will help with repairs and provide matching funds for grants. With your help, we can accomplish our objective of preserving the past for the future.
The Heritage Preservation Trust depends upon your patronage to reach our goal to preserve history.
Please help us make our history an important part of your future!